Thursday, March 23, 2023

Blog Post #3: Supreme Court

     Based on the this article by the History Channel about the Supreme Court (https://www.history.com/topics/us-government-and-politics/supreme-court-facts), I have learned a few things about the Supreme Court that I wasn't originally knowledgeable about. 

    As is common knowledge, the Supreme Court is is the highest federal court in the entire United States and is the head of the judicial branch of the government. Originally, there were only six justices appointed, which was new information to me. In the modern day, there are nine justices that serve on the Supreme Court. 

    The first case the Supreme Court ever came to a decision on was West v. Barnes, a relatively small money dispute between a farmer and a family he owed money to. It was very interesting to know the Supreme Court once handled cases like these and not huge cases that the entire country has their eyes on like they do today. 

    The chief justice is the justice that overall has the most authority out of the other members. A specific type of trial they look over very closely are impeachment trials, like that of Bill Clinton or Donald Trump.

    One fun fact I learned was that William Howard Taft is the only person to be both president and chief justice. 

    Overall, I learned a lot more than the overall surface level information that I had previously known about the Supreme Court, and feel more knowledgeable about the Supreme Court itself and the cases surrounding it, as well as the actions that can be taken by justices and the chief justice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: My Relationship With Technology

    Technology is something I rely on greatly in my day to day life. It's become an integral part of each day to me through the use of m...